Sat, 09 Mar|
Astro Photography & Milky Way at Bodium Castle (09/03/24)
Introduction to Astro Photography is an exciting journey into the captivating realm of capturing the night sky, including the possibility of Milky Way photography. This photographic genre focuses on photographing stars, planets, the moon, distant galaxies, and the mesmerizing beauty of the Milky Way
Time & Location
09 Mar 2024, 23:00 – 10 Mar 2024, 05:00
Bodiam Castle, Bodiam Castle, Park Farm to Bodiam Castle Footpath, Bodiam, Robertsbridge TN32 5UA, UK
About The Event
Sir Edward Dallingridge and his wife Elizabeth constructed Bodiam Castle around 1385, during an era marked by unrest and social upheaval caused by the Black Death and royal disputes that ultimately led to the Wars of the Roses.
In 2016, a meticulous stone-by-stone examination revealed more than 800 inscriptions at the site. The survey concluded that the most prevalent markings were banker's marks, likely made by craftsmen shaping the stone for the castle's outer walls. Conversely, inscriptions by skilled masons were relatively rare and primarily observed in the castle's prestigious areas. These marks were likely made by expert masons tasked with intricate carving and ensuring high quality.
Workshop Overview: Join us for an enchanting evening of photography under the stars! This workshop will introduce participants to the fascinating world of Astro Photography, capturing the beauty of the night sky. And if everything is workshop out right, we should get a Milky Way shot (but this is not guaranteed).
Please note that this workshop is weather-dependent, so come prepared for an evening of dramatic skies and light painting, even if we can't see the stars.
- Camera with interchangeable lens (preferably wide aperture and wide focal length)
- Sturdy tripod
- Memory cards and extra batteries
- Dress warmly (it can get chilly at night!)
- Understanding basic settings for nighttime photography.
- Adjusting ISO, shutter speed, and aperture for different situations.
- White balance considerations
- How to create stunning star trail images.
- Calculating exposure times for star trails.
- Practical demonstration and hands-on practice
Q&A and Wrap-Up:
Open floor for questions and clarifications. Sharing your experiences and favorite shots from the workshop
While the following items are not essential, they can enhance your astro photography experience:
- Off-camera shutter release
- Intervalometer for time-lapse photography
- Red flashlight for preserving night vision
- Smartphone apps for star and constellation identification
What to Expect:
- Weather-dependent photography, with an emphasis on creative compositions under various conditions.
- Expert guidance and hands-on practice.
- The opportunity to meet fellow photography enthusiasts and share experiences.
Note: Please bring your own camera and tripod. Ensure your camera batteries are fully charged, and you have ample storage space on your memory cards.
We hope you'll join us for this exciting adventure into the night sky. Don't forget to dress warmly and bring your enthusiasm for capturing the cosmos!
We will be meeting on site at this location -
Just walk the path (in either direction around the castle and you'll stumble upon us at the front gate to the castle moat.
Parking is free on the roadside - The car park will be closed. but there are parking spots along the roadside.
Need to find Hotel or AirBnB accommodation nearby
Please check out my page to help you find somewhere to stay - https://www.ahphotographyworkshops.uk/stay-bodium
- Ticket type